Monday, January 1, 2007
You Know you live on a farm when…
- you get really excited when you see the bull dozer on the road it means your getting new gravel
- when you give directions to your place you give mileage from when you hit the gravel road not streets to turn on
-You give serious thought leaving home during a big storm because you may come home to getting out the chain saw before you can get down your road
- You realize the two tone paint job from the dirt road on your car is here to stay
-You never thought you’d be driving you hybrid with shotgun shells rattling around behind your seat…
- when you make a trip “to town” you make it count!
- You’re really happy when your husband comes home and tells you he has a chainsaw in his pickup because there seems to be a very large oak preventing you from getting down your driveway
- Your husband puts his rusty old jeep in the front yard and you really don’t care
- The wood stove is king
- Splitting wood is fun the first few times …
- You learn the maul is NOT where you go for shoes it’s what you use @ 7am on a Sunday morning when the fire burned down too far for a big log and you need some kindling… shin guards are recommended
On Power and other modern conveniences
- When there are 5 houses in your canyon and the other 4 have generators take note because the rest of the county gets turned on long before you do.
- You learn when you loose power it’s not heat that’s the problem it’s water most well’s require power !! who knew ... (but we will be changing that : )
- The mail lady knows your dogs name and nags you about the “accessibility” of your mil box due to the road being washed out
- Going on-line for internet faster than the phone line consists of driving up the gravel road and parking where I get cell coverage and looking like a spy as I work on my laptop in the car.
- The wood stove IS also a very valuable cook surface
- Hot water bottles are one of man’s greatest inventions
Other things I’ve noted
- It’s quiet... I mean really quiet!
- I can see sky from every window
- Our friends still visit which is amazing!