Tuesday, January 16, 2007

the water in the toilet bowl is frozen!!




Like California http://beatsgriffracing.blogspot.com/ we have been getting unusually cold weather...


I have found when you live in a 100+ year old farm house with no insulation and the fire goes out over night things can get pretty cold...


I woke yesterday to find, yes in fact the water in our toilet bowl froze!!! now that was in the coldest room right next to the kitchen and the kitchen was warmer thank goodness or we would have had some frozen and bursting pipes on our hands... so the kitchen and living room (the warmest rooms where a balmy 42 degrees when I got up) humm


So after cranking up the wood stove we've managed to keep the parts of the house we are using at about 55 degrees. I'm thinking insulating the house just got bumped up on the to-do list... thank fully I have a little space heater in my office as typing with gloves on just doesn’t work : )


So onto other farm topics I met my neighbor down the street Lyle and he has a long horn cross and they sure are some pretty cows and he says he'll have lots of babies this spring sooo we'll see goats mad chickens are first but here are the girls ... I'll have to say I'm really taken ...






On the topic of goats I've been calling around and talking to lots of local folks re: their goats and I'm finding goats aren't as cheep as I thought... weathers (castrated males) are the cheapest at about $75 on up and does and bucks are $200 on up... so when I get back from my trip east I'm hoping to go visiting some of these goat folks and see what's being offered... every one is "kidding" right now so there will be lots of cute babies for sure to see which I'm really looking forward to...we have a lot of clearing to do so I'm thinking 8 to 10 goats (if I can find a good price)




in the mean time stay warm...


No comments: