Happy 2011 - This is the official 4 year anniversary of this blog we are now entering the 5th year of blogging - so wait does that make this my 5th year anniversary??
This morning I woke up to a new year, cute puppies (and husband) and the heard of elk in our back field... I headed out for a closer look and also to actually run them off that field as we've spent a lot of time and money on that field and it's to wet for any livestock this time of year domestic or wild... so they needed to move along... They let me get surprisingly close I seriously think they know when you don't have a gun I of course was armed only with my camera.
in honor of the anniversary post thought I'd re-post some observations from those first few months of living here at Big Table Farm (posted jan 1 2007 - title 'you know you live on a farm when...') amazingly most still hold true! I did take the liberty to make some 2011 additions...
- you get really excited when you see the bull dozer on the road it means your getting new gravel and less potholes...2011 I've learned to buy the cheapest tires possible as you go through about one set per year on gravel
- when you give directions to your place you give mileage from when you hit the gravel road not streets to turn on...2011 the GARMAN is WRONG dont' trust it on gravel roads or you may end up hopelessly lost in the back woods of Oregon.
-You give serious thought leaving home during a big storm because you may come home to getting out the chain saw before you can get down your road... 2011 and you wonder why you still don't own a 4 wheel drive vehicle
- You realize the two tone paint job from the dirt road on your car is here to stay... 2011 YUP
-You never thought you’d be driving you hybrid with shotgun shells rattling around behind your seat…2011 and you car would permanently smell like a barn
- when you make a trip “to town” you make it count! 2011 and it's a good idea to get off the farm at least once a week and see beings on two feet
- Your husband puts his rusty old jeep in the front yard and you really don’t care - 2011 - the jeep has been upgraded to a second rusty vehicle and you now think it's charming - hell you liked it so much you did a painting of it
- The wood stove is king ... 2011 and insulation is the prince.. no wait my husband is the prince for putting it in!
- Splitting wood is fun the first few times … 2011 and a PTO driven wood splitter is an excellent purchase
- You learn the maul is NOT where you go for shoes it’s what you use @ 7am on a Sunday morning when the fire burned down too far for a big log and you need some kindling… shin guards are recommended - 2011 you get all your wood split and stacked and in the wood shed in the SUMMER!
On Power and other modern conveniences
- When there are 5 houses in your canyon and the other 4 have generators take note because the rest of the county gets turned on long before you do. 2011 - the generator is very good insurance
- You learn when you loose power it’s not heat that’s the problem it’s water most well’s require power !! who knew ... 2011 water filters are good when you have a well and wells do need maintenance... and brown water coming out of your tap before you are about to have 10 people over for dinner makes things fun... and I won't even start on the brand new septic system Brian and I put in!
- The mail lady knows your dogs name and nags you about the “accessibility” of your mil box due to the road being washed out... 2011 and she literally hikes through snow to bring Christmas presents.. and the ups guy well just saw him at the bar in town (the one horse tavern) when we stopped in for a beer... yup we know him well...
- Going on-line for internet faster than the phone line consists of driving up the gravel road and parking where I get cell coverage and looking like a spy as I work on my laptop in the car. 2011 satellite my only option for decent internet ain't so bad after all and now we have wi fi in the house.. bonus no passwords necc no one is close enough to poach...
- The wood stove IS also a very valuable cook surface ... 2011 and I will say I've mastered the stock pot
- Hot water bottles are one of man’s greatest inventions... 2011 humm I may go get some water going for one right now...
Other things I’ve noted
- It’s quiet... I mean really quiet! 2011 - not as quiet now as I've acquired lots of animals that like to remind me of there presence every time I walk outside
- I can see sky from every window... 2011 and who's gonna clean these stinkin' windows anyway?
- Our friends still visit which is amazing!-- 2011 - still true... thanks to all for the company love and friendship!
I hope everyone has a happy and prosperous 2011... cheers!