Friday, June 17, 2011

NYC was AMAZING!!!



I got in on a red eye to JFK a little bleary eyed early in the am Wednesday - but I was feeling no pain as I was VERY excited to be in New York and about pile into a car with four adorable chefs (poor me) and head straight to the Stone Barns Center up in the beautiful Hudson Valley. I had a meeting with a pig and some cows and the Clyde Men in turn needed to get into the kitchen and get choppin' for the big meal the following night at James Beard ... (I KNOW that's a hell of a lot of name dropping in my very first run on sentence but you all should know me by now) ....


decidedly not the city this is Stone Barns in the Hudson Valley



The weather was perfect. I peeked in the kitchen said my hellos and politely RAN outside to tromped all over the farm!! Then I found me some farmer men and followed them around till they invited me (ok ok I volunteered/invited myself) to hop in the pick up truck and go to a near by property and help them set up some cattle panels and move some cows I was in HEAVEN!!!! : ) the property was out of a story book -


The boys in the SB kitchen!





PDX hits the Stone Barns Kitchen!!


Doing come 'poo' research for Big Table's Gardens!! : )

So after a few hours I had to tear my self out of the cow pasture (literally!) and beet feet to the train at to make my first appointment and a whirl wind tour with our new distributor in NY ... ( who is ROCK star BTW) we hit some big names that I can't say yet. He asked me to wait till all the wine got dolled out till I made public the VERY fun list of placements in NYC (lots of Michelin stars on this list people : ) The day of tasting ended with me making a call to brian asking if we could double our allocation to NY as we needed more wine and I'd seen less than 1/2 the folks our distributor wanted us to see... NICE problem to have!!

Then that first night we had a FABULOUS meal at Public (and just as s teaser yes they will have our wines in about a week ; ) loved the 'som' and his adorable bow tie.... anyway I digress... day two another whirl wind tour of more fabulous top NY restaurants...




first course of the Chef's tasting menu at Public!! yummy with Torbrek woodcutter white thanks Benj!


heading uptown baby! : )


Oceana - amazing wine list loved the som he's a martial arts master too -- me+swoon



After day two a full and fun day pouring Big Table Wines and glowing and grateful with the enthusiasm folks had for them I zipped back to the ACE hotel. (also super hip BTW)- put on my saucy green dress and off to the James Beard House -- Chris DiMinno did an amazing job with a knockout menu and perfect pairings with our wines!! the evening was epic!!!



just a tease -- Barrel Aged Negroni, Northern Pacific hay-cured Salmon, Rye Panzanella, Big Table Farm 2009 Cattrall Brothers Vineyard Pinot Noir, “Stew” of wild mushrooms and Big Table Farm egg yolk, Seared Foie Gras in ash, smoked apple, crispy tesa, Roasted Venison, wild Oregon Berries, Pine, Fifth Course: Big table Farm 2007 White Hawk Vineyard Syrah, Olympic Provisions chocolate charcuterie, Salt and pepper shortbread, Oregon nuts, Oregon artisan cheese....

then a 'little' after party at the Beagle ok I rolled into bed quite late (thanks to Lisa for hosting me at her fab pied-à-terre in the village on night two!! -- Then a lovley brunch and now on the plane home... pinch me!!!


the view from my room sooo NY!


not the farm that's for sure!!

5 comments:

Kathleen Bauer said...

I think it's you who is the rock star now…I'll bet NY is buzzing with that gorgeous gal in the green dress and warm smile!

Cecelia (CC) said...

Gotta see the dress.

The menu? all the wild sourced food...love it.

As for your life, a recent read of mine says it all in the title:
"The World Is a Waiting Lover".

You walk into the world with open arms and the world greets you accordingly.

Those of us who get to witness, fill with smiles from the sidelines.

Thank you for welcoming, feeding and sharing so much freakin' Joy!
That's the soul food you also grow.

Joseph said...

WOW -what a post! 6,000,000 people in NYC and you found the closest pigs and cows. NYC sure set out her best for Oregons Finest "fruits and nuts." I agree with the others...we need to see Ms. Suacy in Green. The post was obviously written in the midst of the excitement. I read it aloud to Mom and Dad and they loved it too. I can just picture you asking a million questions and drinking it all in so glad you had such a good trip. BTF in NYC - that is OOC!

Love you so Joseph

Adrian J.S. Hale said...

Wow! You paint quite a picture of NYC, and as someone who lived there, I would love to experience the city with you! Well, I guess I just did in reading your post.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I too am amazed at the fact that you found pigs and cows and on such beautiful farms! - How far did you have to drive out of NYC?? From East to the West and now full circle - INCREDIBLE! xox Bee