Friday, November 11, 2011

A day off from the winery

Harvest has gone beautifully this year but full on like every year .. but a great vintage for us for sure - more on wine on another post this post is about meat! more specifically pork ...

I've had this day on the books for a while so I avoided the winery yesterday and left Brian and crew to barrel down pump punch and stomp.

The day started out really nicely it was a beautiful morning on the farm which I got to enjoy always a good start to the day to not have to rush through chores as this is my favorite part of each day.





At a very civilized hour my friends Linda and Kathleen showed up and we processed 45lbs of Big Table Farm pork into 4 kinds of sausage, plus scrapple.. : )



It was very fun and with three capable ladies workin together it really was pretty darn painless so much so that we got to enjoy a leisurely lunch on the grass and took a walk to the back field mid day enjoyed the sunshine and picked up wind fall apples... Thanks Kathleen for the beautiful corn soup! It was a lovely day and I'm so lucky to count these women among my friends!!







the sausage features sage, fennel and apples from the farm and garlic and red pepper flake, fennel, garlic and shallots from Ayres Creek Farm ...



Tip - If stuffing sausage into casings it too much work and equipment you can always get ground pork and flavor it your self and put it into rolls and freeze it... this makes such a nice handy breakfast meat : ) there are so many recipes to choose from and it's pretty fun to flavor your sausage and taste through out the process till you get it right...

1 comment:

CC said...

that's a great idea - make your own. I have lots of herbs in the kitchen sunny windows now that it' too cold outside, and this is a perfect use for them, especially all that sage. I just may try it - after I finish with that deer.