Sunday, October 28, 2007

goats and chief



As you may know we got our rain early this year but now we are having this freakishly late Indian summer ... it's kind of amazing really .. the rain came so all all the big ambitious summer projects have been put away till the spring. Now here it is almost November when you should be sitting in by the fire and doing paperwork and all the stuff you put off while the weather was nice and the weather is blissfully beautiful... so I spent most of the day out side and lapped up every last drop of sunshine it was really nice.


I took some time this morning with the goats it's really relaxing to just hang out with them ..I needed it ....









soo I'm kind of avoiding the elephant in the room by posting goat photos... as I haden't gotten the gumption to write about chief yet but here goes... I have been spending a lot of time nursing mr. chief the last few days. Chief and I had another accident in harness on Thursday and it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride.. I was not hurt but He got pretty banged up while running off in full harness with a single tree attached...he's on stall rest and is doing really well considering. His stall rest is because he fell on his knees so he's in big old bandages and on lots of meds. He's doing really well considering getting lots of shots and being in his stall full time for now. He's been really good about it all... I did tell him I know EXACTLY how he feels... He is getting lavished with love and attention and treats.

My Neighbor Monique has been a goddess she stood by my side for nearly 4 hours when the vet came right after and then has come down every day to hold chief and generally hold my hand while I administer meds (via needle) chief's not so happy about that... wrap his knees etc etc... it's been quite the experience for both Chief and I. This is her farm site

So given the number of "incidents" that chief and I have now had in trying to train him ... I have come to the realization/conclusion that we all have our limitations and no one needs to get hurt any more... so better late than never I have finally decided that I'm not the one to train chief and now with so much under our collective bridge I will not be able to "work" him either ... not sure if this means I will sell him that's a tough call and if so would only be to a perfect home... but he will for now just recover and then we'll cross that bridge when we get there... he's so nice to have around he may just be my big 1300 lb dog ... so it's sad and pretty hard to admit/ come to grips with as I had such big plans for he and I but I know in my heart it's the right decision now. And by the collective sigh of relief by Brian and friends and family I feel pretty affirmed in the decision.



I love this shot they look soo snuggly.. it's kind of how I feel after having been treated so kindly by, my neighbor Monique in such a big way ...and also my new friend Duane who took the time to talk to me about chief and have a glass of wine today.. now that guy knows how to have relax. Also my Vet Theresa for her great care! and Porter thanks for the pep talk glad that my decision makes me smarter than Bush : ) aka I know when to "change course"

8 comments:

ferenge mama said...

Clare, you are very smart and thoughtful and I'm so proud of how you are taking care of Chief AND taking care of you.

Monique sounds like a rock star. And, OMG, I just checked out her website and those horses are GORGEOUS!!

Tasha Kent said...

Do you make goat cheese from those goats? I'm curious if it's easy.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for being wise and brave enough to "change course" (Porter nailed it with her bush comment...i won't capitalize his name)
I know it must be so hard to "give up" a dream, but there is a new one waiting for you to discover...
keep up the awesome work!!!
Jaye

Clare Carver said...

thanks for all the kind words ladies...

tasha _ I haven't made goats cheese yet just cow cheese ... but go here for more info it's a great site and great easy to follow cheese making kits!! : ) http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Carole said...

Hey Clare, I've been lurking on your blog for a while (found it via MetricGirl, a friend of chou-chou's...).

As someone who has struggled with the choice to re-home a horse who was too much horse for me, I applaud your decision. Long story short, under saddle I was intimidated by my horse, and as much as I loved him, I wasn't enjoying my time with him. It took a long time with some pretty docile mounts, but I have my confidence back and love riding again... with my much smaller and gentler little mare. And I was able to find my other horse an excellent new home.

As the saying goes, you want to find a horse you can hope to outlive! Best of luck getting Chief sound and healthy again.

Clare Carver said...

wow thank you carole the kind words help!... !! clare

Johnny GoFast said...

C'mon, you runnin' a farm or a halfway house for wayward animals? There ain't no time...spit ding...for an animal on a farm that ain't pulling the load. That horse either "cowboys up" or he comes out the small end of the glue container. Spit ding. Hell, back in my day, a horse like that was lucky enough to find work let alone end up in some day spa gettin' his leg rubbed by two fine ladies. Damn, farms have all gone to hell.

Clare Carver said...

Johnny... can always count on you for the tough love ...: ) B loved your input ... : )