Sunday, February 17, 2008

horsey post...

So Chief went from being a very spoiled only child Saturday to his first day at boarding school... he went to the new barn where Courtney (his boot camp mistress) will be working with him.. Mr. Chief was pretty up set when we put him the stall - he kind of pitched a bit of a fit.. and I was worried about him - as any mother with a slightly spoiled child would be : ) but after some hay from home he settled right in... I'm really happy he's there I know having more training on him will really help me to find the **perfect home** for him... Courtney's work will be good for him, me, and the person who is lucky to love him next : ) I think her work will set everyone up for success (learned that lesson the hard way)... so I was there at 7am Saturday morning to feed him and tell him I hadn't just dropped him off and left : ) .. he was doing just fine.. we had a long groom and then I took him into the big arena and left him "at liberty" (no halter no lead rope, no whip etc.)... I thought he would just run around a bit which he did a little of - but then came right over to stand next to me so I started to play with him he was free lounging, side passing giving his forequarters and disengaging... backing .. and then just playing trotting along side of me stopping right with me.. it was heaven... just he and I on his terms (i have to admit I kind of get choked up thinking about it)... I know he was sticking to me like glue because he was a little out of sorts and needed security but it was just heaven...so Miss Courtney came a few hours later and lounged him and said she was impressed with his ground work so that was nice of her and encouraging - I KNOW after watching her work with Chief she's just the right person to work with him. This whole process has been such a gift I'm learning so much.. So Courtney left me with her little filly (just a temporary swap) so I don't have an empty stall to look at a and so I have a horse to play with and so "red" as Brian named her can also learn some of stuff. Red and I are working on all kinds of new (to her things) it's very fun and she's a great little baby horse and I'm really enjoying working with her... I'll get some photos of her up tomorrow : )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Clare, I think you and Brian met my Heidi, a rescue Cairn Terrier. So much of what you describe feeling about Chief is what Heidi's foster mom felt as she worked with her and let her come live with me. As I have learned about rescue from the CT group, one of the issues they often address is the need for fosters to go to another home for 'different' fostering - not any different techniques, but just a different home, dynamics, other dogs to be around - that kind of stuff. It sounds to me like you are doing the very best for Chief, and he will respond so well; he's a very smart guy.
Hugs, Lois

Clare Carver said...

Thanks Lois! - I just have to trust it will all work it's way out... I went by the barn again this evening and Mr. Chief had been ridden (sadly I wasn't there for that and gotten his second bath in two days! : ) he's lookin' pretty pampered.. he even had little rubber bands in his mane.. I think he's getting loved on... thanks for all the encouraging words... hey has that magnolia tulip tree started to blossom.. 9be sure you keep your bedroom window open for that smell.. : ) I just LOVED that and how about the peony bush that should be coming on line here in a few more weeks...those where two of my favorite plants there at 1438...

Unknown said...

Hey, the magnolia has been blooming since the middle of January, and is just covered in blossoms now. You are right, the blossoms smell super! The peony has leafed out, and will start to set blossoms soon. I discovered some curry in the back this year when I was weeding toward the end of summer; that was startling! It is over on the garage side in the peach tree/avocado tree area. I have a little dried bouquet by the big back window. The black oak I planted last November is starting to unfurl its leaves - I am very very excited about that!
I'm very glad you got to see that Mr. Chief is being loved on; he is so smart and will do so well in his next steps. You have given him a great gift, Clare.
Hugs,
Lois

Clare Carver said...

Oh that curry yes I remember that I planted that a few years back... that's from forney brown I had tons of herbs in that little area... as it got some shade from the tho summer sun.. that's a fun plant it's culinary and I'll get the name from my friend Genna.. there was al kind fo things back in there not sure what's still there.. tarragon does well in that little patch ...